- Can programmable thermostats really save energy?
- What does a thermostat do?
- Of course I want to save money on my utility bills, but I don't know anything about programming. Can I really do this myself?
- What does a programmable thermostat do?
- Can a programmable thermostat be used to replace an existing conventional thermostat?
- I work at night and I am home during the day. Can I easily make changes in a Lux pre-programmed thermostat to fit my schedule?
- What is "Armchair Programming?"
- Is there someone I can talk to if I have a question about the installation or operation of my Lux thermostat?
- How important is leveling a conventional thermostat?
1. Can programmable thermostats really save energy? BACK TO TOP
Yes, programmable thermostats can save energy and save you money on utility bills. According to the the U.S. Department of Energy, a programmable thermostat can reduce heating costs by up to 35% and cooling costs by up to 25%. Your savings will largely depend on the length of your energy saving program periods and the temperatures set. For example, an energy saving period of 10 hours with the temperature set back 10° will save more than a 5 hour energy saving period with the temperature set back 5°.
2. What does a thermostat do? BACK TO TOP
A thermostat, in the most simple terms, turns on the furnace or air conditioning system until the room temperature reaches the set temperature. Then, the thermostat turns the system off.
3. Of course I want to save money on my utility bills, but I don't know anything about programming. Can I really do this myself? BACK TO TOP
If you select a Lux Programmable Thermostat, every model is pre-programmed with a typical energy-saving setup - separate programs built-in for Heat and Cool - 4 program periods per day. No additional programming is necessary. We've done the programming for you! Every Lux Products Programmable Thermostat has been designed to be as easy to set and use as a clock radio. This is all you do: - Install the thermostat base on the wall.
- Hold the thermostat body in your hand.
- Insert the batteries.
- Select "Heat" or &"Cool".
- Press the "Reset" key to activate the built-in programs. built-in programs.
- Set the current time and day of the week.
- Snap the thermostat body on to the wall base and turn the power back on to your heating/cooling system.
- Begin your automatic savings!
- Any time you want to temporarily change the temperature, just use the up/down buttons next to the LCD display.
- See Instruction Guides.
4. What does a programmable thermostat do? BACK TO TOP
Programmable thermostats automatically change the thermostat's set temperature between comfort levels and energy saving levels at specified times, according to the programs you set up. Generally, to save energy, you would set up 4 program periods for each day - 2 comfort programs and 2 energy saving programs. Following is an example of typical comfort and energy saving program periods for weekdays:
5. Can a programmable thermostat be used to replace an existing conventional thermostat? BACK TO TOP
Yes, Lux programmable thermostats can be used to replace most conventional low voltage and millivolt thermostats. The same wires used for installation of conventional mechanical thermostats are used for installation of programmable electronic thermostats. See Feature Chart for detail on Lux models compatible with your system. Also see Instruction Guides.
6. I work at night and I am home during the day. Can I easily make changes in a Lux pre-programmed thermostat to fit my schedule? BACK TO TOP
Yes! You can use the built-in programs as is or change any of the preset times and/or temperatures to suit your schedule. Easy instructions inside the door of each thermostat model explain how to select the program period you want to adjust. Then you just use the up/down buttons next to the LCD display to change times and temperatures. It's that simple.
7. What is "Armchair Programming?" BACK TO TOP
Armchair Programming is a feature which allows you to make programming changes with the thermostat body removed from the thermostat wall base and conveniently held in your hand. All Lux Programmable Thermostats are Armchair Programmable.
8. Is there someone I can talk to if I have a question about the installation or operation of my Lux thermostat? BACK TO TOP
Yes, Lux Products Corporation maintains a staff of trained technicians to help you with any questions you may have. The technical assistance telephone number is (856) 234-8803.
9. How important is leveling a conventional thermostat? BACK TO TOP
In mercury-switched thermostats, leveling is important to proper operation and readings. Lux conventional mechanical thermostats utilize a snap action switch that does not require leveling for accurate control and contains no mercury.